Review: One Christmas in Paris by Mandy Baggot

Thursday, September 29, 2016

31750478One Christmas in Paris
Mandy Baggot
Published by: Book outure
Publication Date: October 7, 2016

Summary: (Taken from Goodreads)
They say Paris is the City of Love, so bring your je ne sais quoiand don’t forget the mistletoe! 

Ava and her best friend Debs arrive in Paris just as the snow starts to fall. The Eiffel Tower glitters gold and the scent of spiced wine is all around, but all Ava can think about is Leo, her no-good, cheating ex. 

Debs is on a mission to make Ava smile again, and as they tour the Christmas markets, watch lamplight glittering on the river Seine, and eat their body weight in pain-au-chocolat, Ava remembers there’s more to life than men ... Until they cross paths with handsome, mysterious photographer Julien with his French accent and hazelnut eyes that seem to see right inside her. 

Ava can’t ignore the intense chemistry between them, but her fingers have been burned before and she can’t forget it, especially when her ex, Leo, starts texting again. Can Ava really trust Julien – and what exactly is his secret? 

Will Ava go home with a broken heart, or will she find true love amongst the cobbled streets of Paris? 

Join Ava and Julien in the most romantic city in the world this Christmas, as they discover the importance of being true to themselves, and learn how to follow their hearts. 

My Thoughts:
As soon as the weather begins to cool down, I tend to start thinking about wonderful romantic holiday stories that will give me the warm fuzzies. In all honesty, I don't expect my holiday books to have much in the way of a plot or a storyline. I expect them to be sweet, fun, and romantic. No big conflict or deep issues being pushed forward.

This book did give me the warm fuzzies and the happiness that I expected, but it did go a bit deeper than I expected. I really enjoyed the story. The book centers around Ava and Julien. Ava is a bit of a pushover who has never learned to live life for herself, instead bending backwards to please others. However, she has recently been hurt and is determined now to learn to be herself and have fun. Julien has lived his life to his fullest, and knows the joy life can offer him. However, a terrible lost has led him into a depression, and he is only now beginning to find his way back to life.

I ADORED Julien's character. He was romantic, sweet, and just the best. I loved him from the first page, and really wanted him to find his happy back. Ava's character grew very slowly on me. She seemed so juvenile at times and drove me nuts at times. I think that her character might be the reason for the 3 star rating instead of 4. By the end of the book I didn't mind her, but she definietely had some character flaws that rubbed me wrong and made it hard for me to really be a big fan of hers.

This book is set primarily in Paris. Hence the title right? But, what I mean is, this author really did a great job at taking the time to pain an image of Paris in my mind. I loved the details she put in about this city. It really made me want to visit at Christmas time. I absolutely loved the thought that went into really and truly creating a wonderful setting for the story. 

Now onto the romance, after all, this is first and foremost a romance holiday story. I felt like Baggot delivered there. The romance between the two was cute, and slow building. It wasn't fully believable, but it's a holiday read and I find I'm okay with it. I loved watching these two help each other find their way back to living life to the fullest while falling in love.

If you are looking for a cute, sweet, holiday book. I would recommend this one. It is a quick read that will draw you in, and is sure to give you all of the Christmasy feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS