Review: My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows

Friday, December 9, 2016

22840421My Lady Jane
Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows
Series: None, but there have been 2 spinoffs announced!
Published: June 7, 2016
Published by HarperTeen
Rating: 5/5 Stars

Summary: (Taken from Goodreads)
The comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey. In My Lady Jane, coauthors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have created a one-of-a-kind fantasy in the tradition of The Princess Bride, featuring a reluctant king, an even more reluctant queen, a noble steed, and only a passing resemblance to actual history—because sometimes history needs a little help.

At sixteen, Lady Jane Grey is about to be married off to a stranger and caught up in a conspiracy to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But those trifling problems aren’t for Jane to worry about. Jane is about to become the Queen of England.

My Thoughts:
I wasn't expecting to love this book half as much as I did. I don't know why. The book community was going crazy for it over the Summer, but I kept putting it off. But, once I finally picked this one up, I couldn't put it down. It was so much fun.

In this book, we get a not so true retelling of the life of Lady Jane Grey. By not so true, I mean it was very very very loosely based on her life, but our authors gave her a happy ending.. and added a bit of magic, and basically just took the very general story and wrote their own around it. They did this was such a fun tongue-in-cheek bit of hilarious humor. I mean, lets face it. This story is supposed to be tragic. It is, but they made it not tragic in the least bit. I absolutely loved the humor and the nod at Monty Python and Princess Bride and so many other cultrual references that were tossed in throughout the book. It was hilarious. I also love their fun take on the lack of feminism during that time. This book was just hilarious.

Now, this book has 3 authors, but you really don't notice at all. You can tell they worked had to make sure the book flowed and it did. I really don't know which author wrote what. I'm guessing they each wrote a seperate point of view, but like I said it all flowed perfectly from one to the other. I loved all 3 of the characters and their thoughts... although I would be lying if I didn't admit I became quite partial to Gifford.

I will warn you though.. this is not a 'deep' book by any means. Really it is more about the comedic value than the deep story. Sure, there is a plot... but it is full of silly hijinks. This book is meant to be lighthearted and I think the authors hit the mark on the dot. If you are expected a deep, complex, historical fiction... this one is not for you. If you want a light fantasy story that has some historical aspects, come on over. But, really... no matter who you are I thinkyou will enjoy this book if you go in expecting the correct thing. Especially if you love cultural references. Seriously, I squealed everytime.

So, yes I loved this book... and I truly think you will too. It is something unique that we haven't seen much of, and I want more. I'm so excited for the announced sequels. My Plain Jane (Jane Eyre and Charlotte Bronte) and My Calamity Jane (Wild Wild West! So excited!). You will have a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS